Thursday, February 15, 2007

A new Raskell

Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. James 1:27


So, I know it has been awhile since I posted. Life has been, well, busy. I really never thought it would be so tiring to be a mother of 6, work 40 hours, and still manage a household. Sheesh, I am tired!


I wanted to let all of you faithful friends and readers know that we will be adding another Raskell to our family. Her name is Nafkot and she is a 2 yr old Ethiopian girl. We met her while in Addis Ababa at an orphanage and she stole my hubby's heart. We are about 6 months away from picking her up. I am hoping to be better about posting here and keeping everyone updated. She is really a sweetie and she looks like Sophia!


We are waiting for documents from our agency to start our dossier. I have already started compiling parts of it thanks to a heads up from my friend. Once we send in the dossier it will be sent to the agency, then to Washington DC and then on to Ethiopia. From there we will wait for a court date. Once our court date is successful (assuming God still wants her here) we will wait for our embassy date. We are using a different orphanage and agency so our embassy date will be later than before. We are assuming 8-10 weeks after court we will travel.


This was a tough decision. Before we left Ethiopia, George had said "I think we should bring her home." I said "Yeah, right. If you are serious YOU are doing ALL the paperwork." Well, months later, through prayer and God's leading I started the paperwork not HIM. I guess working on the paperwork helps make her a reality a little more. Some moments God comforts my heart and I know everything will be ok, other moments I want to fly overseas to hold her and take her to the doctor to make sure everything is ok. She had TB a few months ago. I prayed to the Lord "If you want her Lord, take her. Let her be healthy and free. If you want her here, heal her and prepare my heart for her." Monday morning I heard she was in recovery and doing well. God had answered my prayer and my heart now loved 7 children instead of 6.


God has been so faithful to us since we followed His will and not our own. This whole process is in His hands and He has made every step possible.


We are hoping to pay for this adoption solely on grants and donations and fundraising. We have been blessed so far and we are only about $4000 short (travel and embassy stuff). He has blessed us with everything else so far. So, keep posted. I am working on eventually selling bracelets and tshirts as a fundraiser. I know God will mutliply these too! He is so wonderful and faithful to those who trust in Him.


So, on the other home front (yes, Ethiopia is a home front and I will always have a special place in my heart for it). Sophia turned 1 last week. To match her age, she has 1 tooth. I think all the other teeth will pop in at once. She has done really well after her tubes and we haven't had 1 ear infection since. She loves daycare and they love her. She is starting to throw tantrums which is quite funny. She still refuses to walk as crawling is easier. She has added nice, thank you, shoe, caleb, reading and singing to her list of accomplishments. She loves to dance too!


Giovanni is doing well. He loves school and enjoys to continue to look at books and magazines. If only he would look at the words and not the pictures. He is such a lover. He loves to just sit and cuddle. What a sensitive little man!


Caleb, is well, Caleb. If you have ever met him, he is our funny man. Everything is always funny. He laughs and laughs and talks and talks. I think we will have our hands full. He enjoys video games. Kevin is very proud of him as he has "skills" for video games. Too bad he only gets to play them when Kev watches them. :)


Nick is doing well. He just started working with his brother Kevin at the car wash. Only a month and we have already heard "I don't want to work." Too funny. Hockey is going great and he is the superstar. He had a luncheon he was picked for for sports. He put together a dodge ball team and won the tournament last week. He is just a natural sportsplayer.


Kevin continues to go to school and work. We see him more and more as he matures and wants to hang out with us. I even got a Valentines hug! (we never get hugs from him) He has matured so much and he loves his little brothers and sister.


Malcom is at Sheppard AFB and will be shipped to Germany after Tech School. He is pretty excited. I wish it were closer so we could see him, but what an experience!


We have another young man living with us, Justin. He is a friend of Nick's and he is staying with us while attending school. He is also working at the car wash.


George is doing well. He has a cold now so he will be out of commission for awhile. :( He continues to amaze me as a father to a little girl. Boy does she melt his heart!


Well, now that I have babbled forever! I hope all is well with you all. I will post more pictures later as I haven't downloaded a lot them.


Blessings,
Sandra
So, Kevin and his friend decided to attempt this crazy jump. Kevin landed on Jake. It was hilarious!
Kevin and his baby sis!
Kevin, Jake and the little boys.

6 comments:

Brianna Heldt said...

Congratulations on this newest adoption! God bless you guys for following His words and His leading. What agency did you go with this time and where did you meet this precious little one while you were there?

lcm0709 said...

I am so glad you finally posted this amazing and glorious update. God is working overtime on the Raskell's and I am so in awe of how much you give and have left to give. You know we pray daily for your family in our family. God bless and keep your baby girl safe and healthy for you will be there soon.... Until then, XOXO

The Barr Family said...

Sandra,
I am so happy and excited- and I read your news with great joy. I am here for you- together forever. My sister.

Love
Em

Leah said...

Oh Sandra! What amazing news! I am so happy for you and your family. I am curious too what agency you used, we want to do it all over again as soon as we can too. I'd also love some fundraising tips from you, I make jewlery too but haven't figured out a way to go about selling it. I know your life is so full, but please write me soon! I'll be praying for you...
Much love,
Leah

PastormacsAnn said...

Wow that's fantastic news! I'll be praying that everything works out smoothly.

Mommy said...

Sandra - Congratulations. I can't say I'm surprised at the announcement. Prayers for provision for all of you.

Sandee