Friday, August 24, 2007

Updates and life

Where to begin. The last couple of weeks have been C-R-A-Z-Y! I never thought adding another child would change things so much. Little miss Ahnika (previously known as Nafkot) definitely has regulated our lives. We actually live on a schedule - meal times, nap times, bed times, etc. If we don't follow this we get big tantrums. She has done so well here, really. I think it more me trying to adjust. I am just exhausted! The first time around we had so many people bring us meals, help out, etc. but for some reason this time around it was different. We have made it through the hard part - the first month. On Monday we will have been home for 4 weeks. Boy has time flown. Here is a list of what we have been doing:

1. One trip to the doctor for regular visit. - He thinks things look good.


2. Next day a trip to the Dermatologist to treat her molluscum. They give her a treatment that will cause blisters and then h0pefully the virus will die. Poor thing, when they say blisters they really mean blisters. She had about 10 bandaids on for days. I felt so bad. I was definitely feeling like the worst mother EVER (of course wait till you read on).


3. Next day me, hubby and the 4 Ethiopian children loaded up in the car to drive to Seattle to see a doctor there. The visit went great. We only had one melt down at radiology. She did great on the blood draw.


4. Next day we go to the zoo. I almost missed out with Ahnika because she was throwing a tantrum (like now because it is nap time). Thankfully she calmed down and we had a great day. That afternoon on the way home, we got a call that she is Hep A positive. This is the "good" Hep to have. Of course, what is really a "good" Hep? We will talk to the Health Deptartment next week to find out what we have to do.

5. Next day we head downtown for kids day. We got faces painted, free stuff, suckers, candy, and PIZZA from Rocky Rococos. Mmmmm.

6. Next day we went to Cat Tales. It is a little zoo here to help rescue big cats and bears. It was so much fun. Caleb, Gio and Kev got their faces painted. The whole family and girlfriends went with us.

7. That night we ended up in the ER with Ahnika for a staff infection from one of the molluscum. Apparently if you leave a band-aid on a lot, bacteria will grow in the hurt area. Bad mom moment #2. We got home about 1:30 am with her still awake.

8. Two days later we had SOphia's 18 month check up and a follow up with Ahnika. Things are looking better.

9. Next day - the worst moment in my history - I was changing Sophia and reach down to get her pants. At the same time, she did. She fell. Hard. Her face hit the drawer. She screams. I pick her up with blood everywhere. Her bottom teeth are no longer there. I grab wipes and try to stop the bleeding all the while screaming for someone ANYONE to get in to help. Finally I ran out to the living room, called Kev down to watch the boys, and head to the dentist. They say if we can bring the teeth in they may be able to put them back in. Finally after searching we find them. We go in. After 3 tries they are in. I am crying, she is crying, and I just want to die. Why didn't I get her clothes first? So many what ifs. We go home and I don't want to put her down. She won't remember this moment years from now, but I always will.

10. Two days later, my parents come in for a visit. We went to Greenbluff and George and I actually got a date! We went and saw Bourne Ultimatum. It was pretty cool!




This week has been pretty relaxed. I started back at work. But, unfortunately for my boss and my schedule, we can't get Ahnika into daycare until Aug 30th because of the Hep A. So, I frantically figured out a schedule. We took Sophia back to the dentist and she has an infection. If it is not better by Monday, we have to take the teeth out and she will be toothless there until her permanent ones come in. Please pray for healing. She is such a trooper. I took Ahnika in yesterday for a "happy visit". They were so good to her! She had a ball. I wish my dentist visits were that fun.

This weekend my bestest friend ever is coming. I might actually get some time away from home with her. We grew up next door to each other since I was 2. She is like my sister. I am so excited!


The kids has so much fun running through the sprinkler. It was Ahnika's first time. It was like it was the first time everytime it came back down on them! Priceless, for sure.

We were all dancing to the African Children's Choir. Shhh, don't mention that the musical instruments were from Mexico and not Africa. :) I do keep my daughter dressed, it is her that doesn't like to keep it on.
Yes, this is what happens when you don't pay attention for like 5 min. Stickers are found and placed in many areas. I won't show the wall or bench my other daughter colored "Bwue Bwue".

Well, time to get back to work. Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Leah said...

Oh Sandara! Wow! What a lot you have been going through, I am glad most of it has been good. Ahnika is such a cutie! Will be praying about the Hep A. So sorry about Sophia's fall!! You are NOT a bad mom though!! I'm just gald those are her baby teeth.:) Praying for continued adjustment for all of you! I'll email you soon.
Love,
Leah

shell said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of the kids asleep in the car. it is just so hilarious and they are in the funniest positions. thanks for a laugh-dont ever let ANYONE tell you that you arent as AWESOME mom!!!!!!!!!! i love you!

the ewings said...

Sandra, You are such a great mom and do some amazing things with everyone and even in between Dr visits and all. I'm so impressed with all you do. You have to be exhausted or just running on the glory strength of God!!! Love the wonderful pictures. I need to call you soon and catch up. Praying for your work, Heb A and the wonderful time with your friend.

Dustin & Heidi Greenup said...

O Sandra, I feel for you and everything you're going through. I'm sorry I haven't been able to talk with you yet. Dustin and I just got back from Ethiopia last saturday and it's been a rollercoaster ride for us as well. I know this sounds funny, but it's comforting to hear that other people's kids have tantrums too. Our little Ezra is the most strong willed child and will cry for an hour because he's used to being held to fall asleep and at his 20+ lbs, we just can't do that.
You're doing the best you can I'm sure, under the circumstances and the Lord gives you exactly the amount of grace you need for each day. If it helps you feel better, my mom accidentally had my sister role off the changing table while in the doctor's office. Those type of things can happen to anybody.
We're praying for you and your beautiful daughter. Just remember, the Lord has a plan for her. May He give you the endurance you need. Blessings,
-your nurse and friend, Heidi Greenup

Brianna Heldt said...

ugh, i'm so sorry about the teeth! it is SO HARD being a mommy, accidents happen but i know for myself, i always end up feeling guilty. you've got a beautiful family, keep hanging in there, you're doing great!