Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Daddy's update


These pictures are of my Dad in February right before he got sick. Below is a letter I got from him today. Keep praying friends!

Dear friends, family and loved ones,


After battling Nephrotic Syndrome, Idiopathic Glomerulonephritis complicated by pulmonary emboli since April of this year, we believe that we have turned the corner in fighting this rare kidney disease. Since April, I have been pretty much incapacitated and at home. Having no strength, extreme fatigue, dizziness, depression, unstableness in walking, blackouts etc., my recent lab work indicates that the disease is headed towards remission. Once (If) it goes into remission, much like cancer, it can come back later. If remission is not reached the overall outcome is somewhat grim. My lab results still indicate that my levels are still in the dangerous zone, but improving. I’m currently taking 19 different medications to combat this disease and includes some cancer drugs (Even though I do not have cancer) and heavy prednisone (Steroid) doses. This intense combo of drugs is hard on a person’s body, yet it seems to be the best (Only) option to fight this nasty disease.


It is my firm belief that this disease correlates with my other VA disabilities and was caused by exposure to Sarin gas (Nerve agent gas) while with the U.S. Army in Desert Shield and Desert Storm. That and other toxins are probably the cause. We are now currently fighting the VA over medical bills (14 total days in the hospital is not cheap) and have filed a claim over this disease.


We have had remarkable help from Bob and Sandi and their families and friends in the Bozeman area. For you that are out of town, we are very thankful for your cards, phone calls and prayers.


The Doctor tells me that about 4 more months and the drug therapy should be over and hopefully the disease will be in remission. It will be nice to resume normal activities in life and not have medical appointments, hospital stays, lab appointments etc. rule our lives. But we remain positive and are thankful for having a graceful God and so many prayers that have been so generously given.


Thank you everyone for your love, support and prayers,

Bob and Karen


1 comment:

KT said...

Im so sorry your dad is going through this :-( Im sure there are no words to convey the painful depths of what he has endured.
I agree with his believe that this is likely the result of exposure to chemicals during war time. My grandfather had four different forms of prostate cancer, 7 times, as a result of exposure during WW2. He blew the minds of doctors, but really, it was a simple answer, chemical exposure. He knew it too.
Its nice to see his faith is firm, and we WILL be praying for him and you all. Could I get his address to send a card?
Thinking of you Sandra, sorry you have to see your daddy go through this :-(