Thursday, July 17, 2008

Forever and ever day

Then Moses went down to the people and repeated all the instructions and regulations the LORD had given him. All the people answered with one voice, "We will do everything the LORD has commanded." Exodus 24:3

I admit, I am an emotional wreck. For two years I have either been in Ethiopia or travelling to Ethiopia. Now, this year I watch two close friends leave for Ethiopia. I am so longing to go (not to adopt, mind you) and feel Ethiopia all over again. For those of you who have been there, you know what I am talking about. The sounds, smells, heat, love, emotions, rawness, sights, etc. I miss it terribly. For those of you who haven't been, go. Follow God's call and go with Him. It is the most beautiful place I have been. I am so thankful we did as He asked us to do when we adopted.

July 18, 2006 - We landed in the US with all eight of us. Dad, mom, Kev, Nick, Malchi, Gio, Caleb and Sophia - Raskell party of 8. We were exhausted, hungry, grumpy, overwhelmed, and I was in love. God was so gracious to our family. He knew what we needed. For the last two years I have watched each one of my children grow into amazing kids. Malchi is over in Germany serving our Country. Kevy is ministering to our boys and caring for them this summer (of course tying them to a tree isn't really ministry, but they think it is hilarious). Nick is ON FIRE for God. He has youth pastor written all over him. We are so proud of him! Gio is so smart. I am amazed at the things he knows. He is always thinking. He is my little man. Caleb, sweet Caleb, is our handful. He is always laughing and getting in trouble. His heart is huge and he makes me smile when I think of him. Sweet Sophia, my baby. She is so FUN! I can't believe how awesome (if not patience building) it is to watch a two year old learn. She is hilarious to watch. She has a fetish for flip flops. So if you come visit and wear them in our house, the will become permanent fixtures on her feet. We have all grown so much in the last two years.



July 18, 2007 - I leave early in the morning for Ethiopia by myself to DC where I meet with my mama. How awesome my mom got to be there to see the "birth" of our 7th child? God asked us to follow Him to Ethiopia one more time to bring home this girl who stole my husbands heart on July 14, 2006 while in Ethiopia. We met this little sweet while bringing donations to her orphanage. All I could think - um no way jose - 3 new ones is enough! I guess when we try to put our will in front of His, we get our hands slapped! So, I left to get her. My husband is so gracious to let me do this and he stayed home with all the others. This journey was even more special because my mom was there. God was there with us every step of the way. From meeting Gio's grandma, to meeting new friends and seeing old ones, I will never forget this journey. Ahnika has grown so much since we first brought her home. She was a hard one to handle in the transition. God has such a plan for her - I can see it in her. She is truly special to me.



July 18, 2008 - Tomorrow we our going to go to the lake for a picnic and then get a Gooey's ice cream (fabulous if you are ever in Coeur d'Alene) to celebrate our family. I might pull out some gifts we bought for them.


Words cannot express the love I have for each of my children. From the oldest to the youngest they are all mine. I can't believe that God chose me - crazy emotional me - to raise them. Why me? I ask so many times. What can I give them? Love? Is ever enough? I pray for them constantly. I pray for any other kids God is preparing for us. I really don't think this is the end. I just am thankful we get a break this year!



We had a chance to speak at a conference last week about adopting and special needs adoptions. It brought back all the emotions of adopting seeing these families and hearing their words and questions. I pray for peace and wisdom with all families wanting to adopt. It is a hard process, but SO worth it in the end.


Here our some pictures from each journey!





This is the first time together as the 8 of us! This is the first time we met the three little ones.

This is sweet Hannah with the three little ones. Look how small they are!

This is our friends at the Addis Kidan Guest House with the three little ones. This is me and grandma with our fourth addition!Our complete family when I arrived back in Spokane.We were actually picking cherries last Saturday but two little guys got attacked by two big guys!
This was taken at Ahnika's first bday in America. She had just had her "belly button" made. She had an umbilical hernia and she is 3 days post-op and proud of her new "belly button"!

Caleb playing hockey. We are truly a hockey family. When asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, Ahnika very matter-of-factly said "A hockey player." Daddy was so proud!

Gio was concentrating so hard! They did great their first year of playing. No games yet, but we are only about 2 months away from the season starting!

These two are perfect for each other. It is God's gift to see how well they get along. If one cries, the other cries too. They are always hugging, kissing, holding hands, and oh, fighting over toys. Perfect!

3 comments:

KT said...

Congrats on two years as a forever family!!!
KT

the ewings said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful journey your family has been on. Where will he take you next!!!!! Thanks for the wonderful update!! I check often in hopes to hear about you Sandra. I would love to talk sometime and catch up. Happy Forever Day, G, C, S, and A! Blessings, Chris

Rae said...

Beautiful photos- beautiful life, beautiful kids!