Tuesday, December 28, 2010

We have a problem!

"Mama, we have a problem. Nick is upstairs and he is PLAYING the video game. This is a problem. But now it is your problem, cuz I told you," states my four year old matter-of-factly.

This was a pretty dramatic time for her as you can see. I mean, geez, you have said no games in the past, so of course the "game warden" has to let her mama know. Is that what it is like when I go to God? "God, Daddy, we have a problem. So and so is being mean and not listening to you. She said she wasnt going to hurt me again, but she did. I told you so now it is your problem." I see two things that I fall into every once in awhile.

The first is the whole tattle-telling. I tend to forget God sees all so when I whine and complain about someone, what does my heart really want to happen? Sometimes I want lighting to come down from the sky on them, and other times I just want acknowledgment that they hurt me. Secondly, who made me the warden of everyone else's mistakes and disobedience? Do I want someone to tattle about how I gossiped about someone, or how I used to lie to my parents about drinking (sorry mom and dad)? No way! So, I guess I need to start searching my heart as to what the root of the issue is. Maybe seek God on that.

I do see a positive to this, too. I was so thankful my daughter came to me trusting I would take care of this "wrong". She also knew what was going on was "wrong" and needed to be addressed. Thankfully our God is open and willing to listen. He is trustworthy to go to for any problem big or small. And just as I explained to Sophia, I appreciated her help and I would handle the situation, God will also remind us if our problems are really a problem or if maybe there is something else there.

So, today when you talk to God, listen for His answer and see what is in your heart. Trust He will care for you always.

No comments: