Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Day 1


So, I made it through the first day. I never realized how many times I stop at the store to buy things. Last night in a 2 hour period I wanted a Sprite from the gas station (we all know fountain pop is better than canned pop). Of course the first day really wasn't bad. I am really curious to see how Day 15 is once a lot of the food is dwindling.

Giovanni, Nick, and Sophia are sick with chest colds. We have the revolving colds in our house. I wonder who will be next? Malcom, George and I just got over it.

I have been humbled a lot lately thinking about what "the perfect family" should be. I grew up thinking I would have a boy and a girl - only. They would be the perfect children, getting along with no fights. Then I married George with teenage boys. I have actually become immune to boy antics. For example (I LOVE YOU MOM!) this weekend Nick farted in on of the little boys' faces. This is a reality in our house. There are 2 females there - me and Sophia. According to the boys, I don't count and really Sophia doesn't either because she is a baby. Boys rule our house. My mom was appalled that those things occur in our house. I reminded her that they are just boys and that my brother did it to me and she was more appalled. It was quite cute to see her face. It was then that I realized nasty boy stuff really doesn't bother me anymore. They smell just as bad as the dogs and Sophia's diapers, so who cares. Bless my mom for having never knowing the full impact of my brother and I. I stress a lot about having our house clean, quite, perfect. Why? Really, does it matter? No, these kids are having fun. So what if I don't get to putting things away? We are dancing, or singing, or laughing, or playing. My kids rock - all of them.

So with that, a lady I know mentioned once to put down the simple pleasures of life. Here are mine today. What are yours?

Baby smiles
Baby laughs
Baby feet
Caleb's copying
Giovanni's eyes
Fresh caramel apples
hugs from the hubby
little boys dancing to German music
Sophia crawling over and putting her hands on my legs
Brutus slobber (one more day that he is here!)
Reese's kisses
Kevin's smile
Nick's screams
Malcoms stories
Quiet moments with God
The Spirit in me
Caleb singing, singing, singing



Giovanni at Greenbluff in the hay maze.












Our little guy, always smiling.



















The boys all pickin' apples. They are delicious! Washington home grown apples - now that is definitely a simple pleasure!











Even Sophia picked an apple. She definitely likes the taste of them.

4 comments:

PastormacsAnn said...

Can't wait to hear about your "30 days" adventures! Love the pictures of the kids picking apples.

Leah said...

Sandra, wow! What a challenge you are embarking on, but it sounds like a very good awareness one. We have had to really cut our budget back and I too realized how often I went to the store! We are blessed with so much. Maybe we will be able to go together to Ethiopia for our next adoptions. We aren't done either!!
Love,
Leah

shell said...

I love reading all this! I so wish you were close by, I understand the house full of boys. :) I wonder how smelly it will get when they are teenagers.....

Anonymous said...

Sandra - They've gotten so much older already! Time goes so quickly... the pictures for this post just show the time that has passed since you brought them home.
Sandee