Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mom, dinner, why are you sleeping?

So, last night I came home and crashed. I went straight to bed and slept until 830. Other than really really weird dreams, I slept. Well, kind of. Add in little children. “Hi Mom!” Caleb yells from the hallway. “Mommy, dinner is ready. How come you not eat?” asks Sophia. “Why are you sleeping so much, Mom?” asks Ahnika. So, in between weird dreams, I was told dinner was ready and I needed to eat about 10 times, 3 times I got cuddle time with Sophia, and multiple times I listened to laughter from my kids. I woke up refreshed and ready to face what life gives me.

 

In my reading today, 1 Thessalonians 1:7 says God provides rest for us who are being persecuted. During Creation, God rested at the end. Christ rested in the boats away from people. So why shouldn’t we rest? Being a mother is hard, I admit. Unfortunately I have to face many uphill battles. I have faced debilitating depression, past abuse, illness, loss, work, etc. Some days I just want to throw my hands us and say “NO MORE!” But, no more what? Can I really give up? When kids come to cuddle can I say “No, I give up, no more cuddling?” No way. So instead I cry out to Jesus “Lord, take this hardship, this pain. Fill me with strength and understanding.” My prayers are always answered then, in many different ways. So, I can choose to go down the path of bitterness and resentment for the “lot” I have in life, or I can embrace every moment realizing God knows my outcome and His desire is for my security and love for Him. Psalm 118:24 says “This is THE day the Lord has made, we (I) will rejoice and be glad in it.” He makes each day, so today I chose to rejoice in whatever comes my way.

 

I must say, though, my husband has it rough. Some could say he married “damaged goods”. I say he married a woman refined by fire. He definitely has to take on more than most husbands. For me, working 40 hours a week, battling my past, commuting to work, raising multiple amounts of children, and life has taken its toll on my body and my mind. I come home pretty exhausted and he is left to do laundry, dinner, housework, etc. while I nurse my hurts and pains. I know he gets run down, but I see the light that shines around him every time he serves me. The light given to him by God. God has already prepared an amazing place for all of us who believe in heaven, but my husband’s place outshines us all. I am so grateful for God bringing us together and blessing our marriage.

 

So, what are your hurts and pains that hold you back from living life? Who has to pick up the “slack” when you aren’t 100%? Tell that person you love them and appreciate all they do for you. I know I forget to thank my husband enough. So, dear, THANK YOU!

 

Lord, remind me that the chaos of my life is for your glory and your praise, not because of ANYTHING I do.

 

No comments: